If you are applying for housing benefit and or council tax reduction or receiving them and you have a change in your circumstances, we may need proofs to verify your application, or any changes, before a decision can be made.
How to provide proofs
You can -
- scan or photograph original documents and e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- visit one of our Customer Service Centres
- send your proofs to us, do not send any valuable documents through the post
Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15
Proof of identity - When making a new claim you will need to provide proof of identity for you and your partner, unless you have already provided it on a previous Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction claim –
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
- current passport
- medical card
- driving licence in photo card format
- UK residence permit
- EEC identity card
- letter from a government department
Proof of National Insurance number for you and your partner
- National Insurance number card
- P60 or payslips
- letter from the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP)
Proof of Earnings for you, your partner and any other adult living in your home
- last 5 payslips, if paid weekly
- last 2 payslips, if paid 4 weekly or monthly
- last 3 payslips, if paid fortnightly
- a completed earnings certificate, available to download on this page
- if self-employed, your accounts for the last financial year or if trading less than 6 months, a summary of your trading records so far, please complete the appropriate self-employed form, available to download on this page
Proof of Other income for you, your partner, and any other adult living in your home
- latest pension payslip from a former employer
- latest benefit or allowance award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or Her Majesty’s Revenues and Customs (HMRC)
- letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting
- student loan or grant letters
- receipts or contract for any money paid to you for board and lodgings
- child benefit letter from HMRC, you can print this on-line for each child
Proof of Capital and Savings for you and your partner
- latest full bank or building society statements, covering 2 months
- certificates for
- premium bonds
- National Savings
- shares and unit trusts
- evidence of dividends or interest received on any investments and savings
Proof of rent and tenancy
- tenancy agreement or letter from your landlord that shows a breakdown of all service charges within your rent
- rent receipts
- completed landlord rent declaration form, available to download on this page
Proof of money paid out for you and your partner
- letter from the court showing how much maintenance you pay out
- childcare cost receipts from a registered child carer
- completed childcare costs form, available to download on this page
This list is not exhaustive, you may also receive a letter requesting further proofs from a benefits officer where needed.
If you do not have any payslips, or they are handwritten, ask your employer to fill in a proof of earnings form.
If you are self-employed and your business has been trading for more than 6 months complete an income and expenses form.
If you are self-employed and your business has been trading for less than 6 months complete a Projection of earnings form.
If you have childcare costs but don't have receipts, ask your childcare provider to complete a childcare costs form.
If you don't have a tenancy agreement or have no proof of your rent, ask your landlord to complete a landlord rent declaration form.