Gas safety in food businesses

If you run a food business and use gas, you must ensure that

  • gas appliances and pipework are maintained in a safe condition
  • regular visual checks undertaken to identify faults
  • you check that any work is undertaken by an engineer who is Gas Safe Registered
  • the engineer is competent to work on the particular gas appliances 
  • staff are trained to use gas equipment safely and what to do in emergency situations
  • there is adequate ventilation in the kitchen
  • all new appliances are CE marked

How to check the gas engineer is competent

All Gas Safe Register engineers have an ID card. This will have their licence number and a photograph. You can check this on the Gas Safe Register website or by phone on 0800 408 5500

Front of ID card, check

  • the number
  • the start and expiry date
  • the security hologram

Back of ID card, check

  • the engineer is qualified to carry out work in commercial catering the qualifications are up to date

To carry out gas work in commercial catering establishments 

The engineer must have the CCCN1- Commercial Catering Core Gas Safety Assessment. This will be shown on the back of the ID card by the word 'Catering' under 'Non-Domestic'.

The ID card will only tell you whether the engineer is competent in working on non-domestic catering appliances and natural gas or LPG and the date to which their qualifications are valid.

Example of an ID card

Id card front
Id card back

You also need to check whether the engineer is competent to work on your particular gas equipment

There are five main categories you need to be aware of when employing a gas engineer.

  • Commercial Catering Range Cookers (COMCAT 1) – includes - 
    • open/solid top ranges
    • combination ovens
    • forced convention ovens
    • natural convection ovens
    • boiling pans
    • gas-fired dish washers
    • ancillary equipment such as
      • pizza ovens
      • tandoors
      • heated woks
  • Commercial Catering Pressure/Expansion (COMCAT 2) – includes - 
    • pressure steamers
    • pressurised steaming ovens
  • Commercial Catering Fat & Pressure Fryers (COMCAT 3) – includes 
    • deep fat fryers and pressure fryers
    • griddles
    • simulated charcoal grills
    • grills over/under fired
    • salamander grills
  • Fish and Chip Ranges (COMCAT 4) – Commercial gas catering fish and chip ranges
  • Forced draught burner appliances (COMCAT 5) - includes pizza ovens and combi ovens

There are also specific qualifications for working with Liquified Petroleum Gas.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance is also available in our downloads.