Physical difficulties in your home

Adult social care - Occupational Therapy

People eligible to receive Occupational Therapy services are -

  • residents who live within the Hull city boundary
  • residents who have a substantial and enduring disability
  • residents who have significant difficulties in their daily life caused by this disability. They want to be more independent
  • carers for disabled persons who are experiencing difficulties

Occupational Therapy assistance and its benefits

Occupational Therapist's (OT's) are based in Adult Social Care teams across Hull. They will work with you to help you find a new way of doing tasks such as -

  • preparing a meal or drink
  • dressing and personal hygiene
  • getting in and around your home
  • suggesting or prescribing specialist equipment to aid your daily living
  • suggesting or arranging provision of minor adaptations such as grab rails
  • agreeing recommendations with you for major adaptations such as ramps or stair lifts
  • working with your carer to offer them advice in the best way to support you

With your consent we can signpost you to relevant services who may be able to help.

Equipment for people with disabilities or who are struggling around their home

We can help if you are struggling with access around your home. We can identify equipment or adaptations that could help you.

Examples of equipment provided, or adaptations recommended may be -

  • a bath lift may be recommended if you are unable to get safely in and out of the bath
  • grab rails around your home. These may be recommended if you need the extra support when moving around your home
  • a stair lift. This may be recommended if you are unable to use the stairs safely. This would not be advised if you have -
    • 2 banisters
    • a toilet on the first floor
    • a room that can be used as a bedroom on the first floor
    • a condition that would make having a stair lift unadvisable
  • a shower if you are unable to get in and out of your bath even with equipment
  • a ramp if you are a full time wheelchair user or you cannot manage the steps to your home safely or walk outside

Our partner Live Well Hull have further information on -

Equipment will be arranged by OT and delivered by NRS Healthcare. This is if the equipment is identified to meet your needs and you meet the eligibility criteria.