Smoke free advice and enforcement

Virtually all enclosed public places and workplaces in England must be smoke free. This incudes the following - 

  • every workplace where more than one person works
  • every workplace where a member of public may attend to receive goods or services
  • public transport and work vehicles
  • premises open to the public

There are some places that can be designated as smoking places, but strict conditions must be met. These include -

  • residential homes
  • designated bedrooms in hotels
  • hostels and halls of residence

The general rule is, smoking can only take in any premises that has a roof, if at least half the wall space is permanently open. This is known as the 'fifty percent rule'. The law does not apply to e-cigarettes.


The law classes shisha smoking the same as cigarette smoking. Therefore, shisha must not be smoked in the premises that are enclosed or partially enclosed.

Enforcement of smoke free legislation

We are responsible for enforcing smoke free legislation in the city. We will support businesses and individuals to achieve compliance. However, we will consider taking enforcement action including formal action where there is a serious risk to health of employees or the public.

Request advice or raise a complaint regarding smoke free

Offences and Penalties

Persons in control of premises such as managers, and individuals smoking are liable -

  • failure to prevent smoking in a premise - up to £2,500 fine
  • failure to display minimum no smoking signs - £200 fixed penalty notice or up to £1,000 fine
  • smoking in a smoke free premises, including vehicle - £50 fixed penalty notice or up to £200 fine

Smoking in vehicles

It is illegal to smoke in a car (or other vehicle) with anyone under 18. This is to protect children and young people from the dangers of second-hand smoke. Both the driver and the smoker could be fined £50.

Quitting smoking

If you would like help and advice on how to quit smoking, this be found on -

You can also visit the NHS smokefree website for more advice.