Paying housing benefit overpayment

We have several convenient ways for you to pay your housing benefit overpayments.

Make a secure payment anytime with myPayments. Using the appropriate button below.

You'll need - 

  • your debit or credit card 
  • an email address to be sent a receipt - optional
  • your 6 or 7 invoice number - this can be found on the top right of the original invoice or to the left middle under the heading of the outstanding invoice reminder document

Pay a 6 digit - housing benefit overpayment

Pay a 7 digit reference - housing benefit number

Transfers or standing orders

You can transfer a one-off payment or set up regular payments from your bank or building society through online banking, telephone banking or in person.

Our bank details are -

  • Sort code - 62 11 79
  • Account number - 00000000 (8 zeros)

You need to quote -

  • 0000 0100 0000 followed by your 6 digit reference number
  • 0000 0600 0000 followed by your 7 digit reference number

Note that there cannot be any gaps in the Standing order references or the payments won’t go through.


You can pay anytime by telephone on 01482 300 300 and select option 1. Our Contact Centre is available to take payments -

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
  • Saturdays, 9am to 1pm

You'll need -

  • your reference number
  • a debit or credit card
  • your invoice number

In person

If you have a swipecard, you can pay your housing benefit overpayments at any -

  • UK post office with cash or a cheque
  • supermarket or shop that displays the PayPoint logo with cash


Make your cheque or postal order payable to - Kingston upon Hull City Council - and write your reference number on the back. Send it to -

Hull City Council
Treasury Building
PO Box 15
Guildhall Road

Make sure you use the appropriate postal option, so your payment arrives on time.

Debit and credit cards

We accept the following debit and credit cards -

  • Visa
  • Visa Debit
  • Visa Electron
  • Mastercard
  • Maestro

We do not accept American Express.