Health and safety registrations

If you operate any of the following you need to register your business with us -   

  • tattooing
  • semi-permanent skin colouring
  • cosmetic piercing including ear piercing
  • electrolysis 
  • acupuncture 
  • hairdresser and barbers

There may be other types of special treatments that come under the above that need registration. For example, dry needling is within the scope of acupuncture. In these circumstances, contact us at the earliest opportunity for advice.

Enquire about health and safety registrations (opens in new window)

It is illegal to operate this type of business without first being registered.

If you are registering a tattoo studio that is not an existing studio you may need planning permission. Authorising the studio is your responsibility.

This registration will continue for the time that you are in business at these premises. If the business moves to new premises, or change proprietors, it will need a new registration. You must contact the Public Protection Division.

If you decide in the future to offer any extra activities that need registration, then a new registration will also be required.

If you allow other persons to work at your premises, and they operate their own business they will need a separate registration. For example, renting a space in your premise. 

Businesses must follow the byelaws adopted by the council in relation to cleanliness and hygiene of the premises

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have provided guidance to help businesses adopt safe standards of practice for tattooing and piercing.

You may also wish to consider other sources of advice such as -

  • public health guidance
  • a relevant trade body
  • engaging a competent person to assist you

Access our applications and byelaws