If you have bought a council owned flat or maisonette you are now a leaseholder. This means that you have purchased the right to live in your property for a fixed number of years without having to pay rent (except ground rent of £10 per year only applicable to flats purchased from Hull City Council prior to 30 June 2022). The lease is initially granted for 125 years.

The lease agreement you signed when you bought your flat or maisonette forms a binding contract, enforceable by law, between you and Hull City Council. It is important that you understand your lease agreement and the conditions it contains.

You should read your lease agreement carefully and if there is anything in it that you are unsure about get advice from a solicitor, Citizens Advice.

You have a number of rights and responsibilities as a leaseholder.

Your rights

You have the right to -

  • expect the common parts of your building to be kept in a good state of repair
  • be consulted about major works for which you will have to pay a share
  • make alterations to the inside of your flat, as long as you do not -
    • remove structural walls or doors
    • fit doors that do not have a fire resistance rating of 30 minutes or more
    • cause damage to the outside or shared parts of the building

Your responsibilities

You must -

  • not cause nuisance or harassment to your neighbours
  • pay your share of the costs for managing, maintaining, and insuring your block. If you do not pay your share, you are breaking your agreement and we could apply to the courts to have your lease forfeited
  • not make any structural alterations or additions to your flat or do anything which is likely to damage the structure of the building or to shared services. If you want to carry out any work which may affect the rest of the building, you must first get our permission in writing
  • keep the interior of your home in good repair. This includes internal doors and frames, floorboards, and internal plaster to walls and ceilings. It also includes keeping your home in good decorative order
  • not use your flat for any purpose other than a private residence for the occupation of a single household
  • not keep any animal or reptile within your flat
  • insure the contents of your home and also the fixtures and fittings, such as kitchen units and bathroom suites