Taking a Lodger into your Council Home

Housing and council tax benefit claims

If you are claiming housing or council tax benefit, your claim may be affected by taking in a lodger, so remember to inform our benefits team and the Department of Work and Pensions for other benefits. If you do not report a change to your circumstances, you could be under or overpaid benefit and you could face prosecution.

Lodger notification