Explosives and fireworks

Our Trading Standards team can provide advice and enforces laws covering -

  • storage of fireworks
  • airbag inflators
  • seat belt pre-tensioners
  • nail gun cartridges

Businesses storing over a certain amount of these goods must either be registered or licensed with the local authority. This is dependent on the amount you wish to store.

A fee is charged for registration or licensing on a sliding scale. It depends on the amount of the above explosives stored. It is also affected by the period the licence and registration runs.

This registration and licence only permits the sale of adult fireworks during these periods -

  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately preceding it
  • during the period beginning on 15 October and ending on 10 November
  • during the period beginning on 26 December ending on 31 December

If you wish to supply or expose for supply outside the above period, you must get an extra licence.

You may be liable for prosecution if you fail to follow any of the above requirements.

How to apply

Use the online form below to enquire or request an application. Select the Explosive licence option within the form.

On receipt of your application, we may visit you to carry out an inspection.

Licence and permit queries