Household waste disposal permit

To use a van or large trailer to dispose of domestic waste at a household recycling and waste centre in Hull you need a permit. Permits are free but are restricted to 12 permits per household, per year and are only issued to Hull residents.

A permit is required for all commercial vehicles including -

  • vans (less than 3.5 tonnes)
  • pickups
  • trailers (greater than 6 foot by 4 foot in size or with more than a single axle)


You may be eligible for a permit under the following conditions -

  • you live in the city and pay your council tax to Hull City Council
  • you will be bringing your own domestic waste from the household you live in
  • you know the registration of the vehicle you will be using
  • you are the only person that has applied for permits for your vehicle
  • you are willing to have an inspector visit your household if needed, to verify the waste you intend to deposit

Circumstances when permits are refused

  • if the vehicle has been issued with other permits at another address in Hull or the East Riding
  • when the resident already has another vehicle registered for permits at their address (if the resident has 2 vans, they may only have permits for 1)
  • if it is less than 12 months since the previous permits were issued
  • if the permits have been lost, we will not replace
  • if the address given is a commercial property (example a shop)
  • if the person requesting the permits is a landlord rather than a resident
  • if customer intents to dispose of trade waste
  • when the vehicle is too large for the site (for example seven-and-a-half-ton truck)
  • when the waste comes from a charity - we may however agree to permit charities to use our account with prior arrangement

Next steps

You will receive your permits in the post within 5 working days.

Special procedures

  • new vehicle - If the resident has changed vehicles, ask vehicle owners to send a copy of the current V5 and the old permits to the address below
  • errors on permits - Please email

Hire vehicles

You can use a hire van to access the household recycling waste centres but must sign a declaration form on site upon arrival. You are allowed a maximum of 3 trips using the vehicle.

You are required to bring -

  • the hire agreement (showing a Hull address)
  • the resident's pass or alternative proof of address (example a driving licence or utility bill)

Residents' pass scheme

All residents of Hull wishing to recycle or dispose of household waste may use our centres. However -

  • business
  • trade
  • commercial 

Users may not use it.

Residents from the East Riding

If you live in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council area, telephone 01482 393 939 for further information.

Visiting the Household Waste Recycling Centre's once

If a resident is requesting to use the household recycling sites once and has a genuine need to visit as soon as possible but has no permits, they need to complete a declaration form at the site. Their vehicle registration will be taken, and they will be issued a letter stating that if they want to use the site again, they will need permits.

Motor homes

As motor homes are not commercial, they do not require a permit (however they must be used as a motor home - not stripped of contents) and must weigh less than 3.5 tonnes.

You can find further information on our Household Waste Recycling Centre's.

Request a Household Waste Disposal Permit