Compensation and legal action

Housing compensation scheme

If you have suffered any of the following -

  • accidental damage to your property or belongings during delivery of the repairs service
  • financial loss as a result of us or our contractor being negligent

and you wish to make a claim for compensation you can make a claim online, in writing or over the telephone.

The following information is required -

  • the time and date of the incident
  • the location of the incident
  • the nature of the work being carried out
  • the name of the contractor if known
  • details of any damage caused, and any financial loss incurred
  • the approximate cost of the damage if known
  • evidence of the damaged items. For example, photographs or proof of purchase

Housing Compensation Scheme (opens in a new window)

If you make your claim in writing, address your claim to -

Housing Investment Service
Warehouse 9
Hull City Council
Guildhall Road
Kingston Upon Hull

In some cases, it may be necessary for us to carry out an inspection. If this is the case, we will make an appointment with you.

Upon receipt of your claim, we will write to you. This is to acknowledge that we have received it and are carrying out our investigations.

We may need to contact you for more information during our investigations into your claim. We will endeavour to respond to you in writing with the outcome of our investigations within 90 days following receipt of your claim. Be aware our investigations may take longer. This depends on the circumstances of your claim.

If you are unhappy with the decision made and you request for your claim to be reviewed, a senior officer will review your claim. They will provide a response within 30 days. If you are unhappy with this outcome, you will then need to seek independent legal advice. Do this either through your own solicitor or free of charge from the Citizens Advice Bureau.