Since 2002, most smoke alarms fitted in council homes -
- are mains powered
- have a ten-year lithium backup battery. The battery is not replaceable
A special tool is used to remove the smoke alarm cover. Do not attempt to remove the battery or open the detectors yourself.
To report a detector sounding under fault conditions call –
- 01482 300 300
Smoke alarm and ventilation servicing
Low, medium and high rise council dwellings. Every four years we inspect and test smoke and ventilation systems. You will receive a notification letter from our partner contractor Kingstown Works Limited. The inspection/test will take about one hour to complete.
The inspection/test will -
- certify that the smoke detectors and ventilation system can continue to be used in safety
- identify if replacement works are required to maintain the safe operation of the installation
Work carried out -
- the casing of the ventilation units will be removed and vacuumed out
- units have failed - a new one may be required. You will be advised
- no units present - KWL will arrange to install them
- smoke alarm test
If replacements are needed -
You will receive an appointment letter from Kingstown Works Limited. The work will take one to two hours to complete.
We have a duty to carry out this work on health and safety grounds.
If necessary –
- we will seek to enforce the tenancy agreement which gives us the right to carry out work
If entry is denied by Leaseholders –
- access will be formally obtained - in line with enforcement procedures carried out by the Leasehold Team