Child employment

From the age of 13, children are allowed to work part time in certain types of work. These can be such as newspaper delivery or shop work. Children do not need a National Insurance number to work part time as they are not taxed. They must have a work permit to make the work legal.

Children are considered to be employed if they help in any business that operates for profit. It does not matter if they are paid or not to be considered employed. There are jobs children are not allowed to do such as -

  • collect money
  • serve alcohol
  • cooking

Children are not allowed to work before 7am or after 7pm. There are a limited number of hours a child can work per week.

Download the application form and view the employment regulations.

Permitted working hours

Working hours vary depending on age. It also depends on whether the employment is during term time or school holidays. Night work is not allowed.

School term time

A child can work for no more than 12 hours per week. They can work a maximum of 2 hours on a school day in either of the following ways -

  • one hour starting no earlier than 7am before the start of school and a maximum of one hour between the end of school and 7pm
  • a maximum of 2 hours between the end of the school day and 7pm

School holidays

A child under 15 years may work -

  • a maximum of 5 hours per day
  • no more than 25 hours per week

A child over 15 years may work -

  • a maximum of 8 hours per day
  • no more than 35 hours per week

Where a child works for more than 4 hours, there must be a break of at least one hour at the end of the fourth hour.


A child under 15 years may work a maximum of 5 hours per day.

A child over 15 years may work a maximum of 8 hours.


A maximum 2 hours work.

Health and safety

The employer is responsible for the health and safety of the child whilst at work. They must -

  • carry out a health and safety risk assessment before the child starts work
  • notify parents that appropriate checks have been done
  • make sure that the child has their permit while working

Returning Application Forms

Return all completed forms via -

email to

by post to -

Education Welfare Service
Room 128
The Guildhall