Free school meals

You can apply for free school meals if your child attends a Hull school or sixth form on a full-time basis. This includes Hull College 14 to 16 direct entry, academies and free schools. To do so by register on the My School Portal and complete the online form. You must be in receipt of one of the following benefits -

  • income support
  • income based jobseeker's allowance
  • income related employment and support allowance (ESA – IR)
  • universal credit if the household is earning less than £7,400 per year
  • asylum seekers receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of state pension credit
  • child tax credit with an annual income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by the Inland Revenue. If also in receipt of working tax credit you will not be eligible
  • working tax credit run on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit

You can claim if you are over 16 years of age and are receiving one of the above qualifying benefits.

If your child is attending an East Riding school, apply to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

The Department for Education have permanently extended free school meal eligibility to children in all households. This is with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF), subject to maximum income thresholds.

To apply under the extended criteria, you complete and submit an extra NRPF form. It needs supporting evidence to verify your NRPF status and income. This can be uploaded with your portal application.

For more information about providing free school meals to families with no recourse to public funds, visit GOV.UK.

Register for My School Portal

You will find out the decision by letter within 7 days. The school will be notified electronically if approved.

The school the child attends will give out free school meals vouchers during school holidays.

If you have not received this, speak to the school directly.