Accommodation - Local offer

Care leavers should be supported to access appropriate and suitable accommodation. The local authority should include relevant information about -

  • their Staying Put policy
  • the support available from Housing Services

and any other help that is available to care leavers, such as advice on maintaining a tenancy.

If you are aged over 18, your personal advisor will help you find suitable accommodation. This might involve -

  • working with housing services to come up with suitable housing options for you. This includes supported accommodation if you are not ready or don't want to have your own tenancy
  • support to access different independent housing options including social housing. This is accommodation managed by us or a housing association
  • advice about holding down a tenancy. Advice includes avoiding rent or council tax arrears, paying bills and budgeting
  • helping you to claim housing benefit or universal credit
  • practical support with moving into and furnishing your new home
  • supporting you if you have a housing crisis. This includes helping if you are threatened with or lose a tenancy