Care Leavers

Introducing the Local Offer

All local authorities have a legal duty to support young people making the transition from care to adulthood. They make sure that care leavers know about all the services and support that is available to them. The Local Offer is where you will find all the information you will need to access and make the best use of the support available.

The Children and Social Work Act 2017 requires local authorities to publish a Local Offer for its care leavers. The Local Offer includes information about their statutory entitlements. It also includes any discretionary support that a local authority chooses to provide. The act requires that local authorities have regard to 7 corporate parenting principles -

  1. to act in the best interest of young people and promote your physical and mental health and wellbeing
  2. to encourage young people to express their views, wishes and feelings
  3. to take into account young people’s views, wishes and feelings
  4. to help young people access and make the best use of services provided by the local authority and the organisations it works with
  5. to have high aspirations for young people and help them to achieve the best outcomes they can
  6. for young people to be safe, and to have stability in their home lives, relationships, education, work and finances
  7. to prepare young people for adulthood and independent living

The Local Offer has details of the services and support that may assist care leavers. They could be in or moving to adulthood and independent living that the local authority provides. This is in relation to -

  • health and wellbeing. This includes services that teach about, support and enable good health and wellbeing
  • relationships. This includes services and support available to help develop and maintain positive social networks
  • education, employment and training. This includes support to help care leavers access appropriate education or training to help them fulfil their goals
  • employment. This includes information about general employment support and links to the employment and youth hubs
  • accommodation. This includes support to access appropriate and suitable employment
  • participation in society. This includes links to and information about activities, events or volunteering opportunities available in the local area

The Local Offer includes both statutory entitlement and additional support services and opportunities. These will inform packages of tailored support to meet the individual needs of each young person.

Just because you are leaving or have already left care, we haven’t stopped caring about you. We want to make sure that you feel safe and supported and know where and who to go to for advice and support. We will continue to listen to your views to make sure the services we offer are what you need.

To be able to get the support set out in the Local Offer, you must have been in care for a period of at least 13 weeks or periods amounting to 13 weeks. These periods must have begun after age 14 and included some time after your 16th birthday. If you are not sure whether you qualify for support, ask your personal advisor.

Corporate parenting

We have a unique responsibility for all the children that we look after and our care leavers. This is often called being a ‘corporate parent’. We should consider you just like we would our own children. We want to provide the best possible care and support that any good parent would provide. We have worked with young people to put together a list of promises that makes clear what young people should expect from us as your corporate parents. It shows how all the services and departments in the council should act when thinking about you.

View our top ten local offers for care leavers below

Top ten Care Leavers offers

Advice and support from a personal advisor

You will be allocated a personal advisor from the Leaving Care team from the age of 17 years and 6 months. Your personal advisor is there to help you to prepare to live independently. They can offer advice and support after you leave care. They should talk to you about what support you need and record this information in your pathway plan.
Your personal advisor will consider with you what extra support you may need. You might, for example, need extra support because -

  • you have special educational needs or a disability
  • you are an Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child (UASC) and your immigration status is unclear
  • you are in or leaving custody or you have had contact with the criminal justice system
  • you are a young parent
  • you are going through a difficult time in your personal life

We try to enable you to keep the same worker, though this will not always be possible. The amount of support you receive from your worker depends on what you want and your circumstances.

Personal advisor support to 25 years

Following recent changes in the law, you are able to ask for support from your personal advisor up to the age of 25. This is whether you are in education or training or not. It will depend on your personal circumstances. Your needs will be assessed to make sure you have the right support to enable you to make the transition to adulthood positively. You can return to us for advice and support if you come into difficulty.

From the age of 21 to 25 you can continue to receive support according to your needs. If you don’t feel you need any support from the Leaving Care Service for a while but later decide you need some help, you can return to the Leaving Care Service. You will be allocated a worker to help. This may involve a short assessment of your needs, so we know how best to help you. We will work with other services to make sure that you get the help you need. This can include -

  • liaising with other services
  • advice
  • help to access accommodation services
  • help to access employment services

Care leavers in Hull up to age 25 also receive extra support with opportunities to access work experience, apprenticeships and training through the council. We will write to you every year to make sure you know that help is still available.

If you are under 25 years and feel that you need support, contact the Leaving Care Service on 01482 615 650. You can arrange for an appointment to complete an assessment of your needs.

Pathway planning

The Leaving Care service

Services and support for care leavers in Hull are provided by the Leaving Care Service. There are 2 leaving care teams. There is also a refugee and unaccompanied asylum seeker team which support former UASC as Care Leavers. The service is based at -

Kenworthy House
98-104 George Street
01482 615 650

The Leaving Care Service has a duty service based at Kenworthy House. If you need support in an emergency, you should first contact your personal advisor. If you cannot contact your personal advisor, contact the Leaving Care Service on 01482 615 650. Or you can come to Kenworthy House and ask to speak to a duty worker.

Monday to Thursday - 9.30am to 4.30pm

Friday - 9.30am to 4pm

Leaving care before turning 18

We will encourage you to stay in care until you are 18. Most young people still live at home with their families at this age. If you choose to leave care before age 18, the law says we must provide you with suitable accommodation.

Support to engage in education, employment or training

We want to make sure every young person leaving care has the support to achieve their goals in life. The law says we must provide you with help with expenses linked with employment, education and training. In particular -

  • we will provide you with a Higher Education (HE) bursary of at least £2,000 if you go to university
  • we will provide somewhere for you to stay during university holidays, or funding for this if you would prefer to make your own arrangements if you are in full time HE, or full time residential further education, and your term time accommodation is not available

Staying put with your foster carer

If this is what you and your foster carers want, we will support you to remain with your foster carers. This is called a 'Staying Put' arrangement. It can last until you are aged 21.

Staying Put policy