Family, relationships and identity

Your personal advisor will support you to establish and maintain safe and healthy relationships.

The leaving care service in conjunction with Room 42 will provide opportunities for you to -

  • meet people
  • socialise
  • seek support

through activities and drop-in sessions.

Your personal advisor will work with you to develop relationships and contact with your birth family if you wish to do so.

Access to records

You have a right to see the information we keep about you. This includes files and records written about you when you were in care.

If you want to see your social care records, you need to make a request in writing. You need to provide some form of identification (ID). If you do not have any current ID but you have a personal advisor or a worker supporting you, they can confirm your identity.

If you are under 18 you can still make the request. The council would need to be sure that you understand what looking at your records means. You may need some support reading your files in terms of the information you will see. Or you may need help to understand your past.

If you make a request the council legally has 30 days to provide your records. If there are lots of files and documents, it will probably take longer than this. The Data Protection Act allows the council to extend this deadline for up to 2 months. This is in cases where there are lots of records. Each page has to be read to identify information about other people which we cannot share with you. You are only entitled to information about yourself.

Ask your personal advisor for information and advice on how to access your records.