Aerial filming

Make an application to film

Once the appropriate permissions have been obtained, the production company will need to submit all paperwork listed below to our events team -

  • a valid Permission issued to the operator by the CAA. which entitles the operator to conduct the flight that is being requested.
  • a Flight Impact Zone (FIZ) Map. A planning map, highlighting the flight area and appropriate control points for the applicable areas where the drones will be flown. It includes any contingency flight areas such as where the drone may need to go should there be a reason to abandon the flight
  • a Risk Assessment and Method Statement (RAMS) of the whole proposed drone shoot. It must be specific to the operation in question
  • Public Liability Insurance. This is a minimum of £5 million. Depending on location and activity, it may need to be £10 million or above

You can submit the above using the below form.

Events team enquiry (opens in a new window)

Depending on the assessment of the above further documentation maybe required -

  • a Traffic Order or Traffic Notice as well as A Traffic Management Plan is needed if the FIZ is close to or includes a highway
  • Stewarding Plan. A description and maps of what control measures will be in place and where stewards will be located. This is whilst the drone is in use
  • Evidence of Consultation. Reasonable evidence to show an agreement has been secured with all individuals who will be impacted by the use of the drone

All use of drones are treated on a case-by-case basis. As a result, notice periods can vary therefore for guidance purposes a minimum notice period for -

  • use of a drone that is perceived to have ‘no impact’ should be 5 working days - 1 week
  • and for those that are likely to involve road closures 6 to 8 weeks.

It is best practice to notify the Hull City Council events team in all instances of commercial drone use. This is even if the drone is to be used on private land and not overflying the highway or council owned property.

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has issued guidelines relating to the Data Protection Act about the use of drones for filming purposes. Access this information.