Council Tax disabled relief

A reduction to the Council Tax bill may apply for properties that are the sole or main residence of a person or child who is permanently and substantially disabled. The property must have one of the following adaptations -

  • have a room, other than a kitchen, bathroom or lavatory in the property which is mainly used for meeting the needs of the disabled person

  • have a second kitchen or second bathroom used for meeting the needs of the disabled person

  • the disabled person or child needs to use a wheelchair indoors and there is space for them to do so

The reduction is awarded by treating the property as if it is in the Council Tax band immediately below the actual band of the property.

A band B property would be treated as if it is in band A.

If the property is in band A, the council tax bill will be reduced by 1/9th of the total yearly liability.

If you think you will qualify for disabled relief,  apply below -

Apply for a discount, exemption or disregard 

To request any of these discounts or disregards you will need to complete a Council Tax enquiry form by accessing your Council Tax account.

If you do not have a My Council Tax account, you can register using the button below.

If you are registered you can access these services below. If you have previously registered and are unable to access your account, you will need to re-register for access using the button below.

Access My Council Tax Account