Immediate financial help


If you need immediate financial help, you may be entitled to emergency support from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or us.

Short term advances

The Governments Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) is a one-off £200 non-repayable payment to eligible households who are not connected to the main gas grid and use alternative fuels as their main form of heating. An application to have an advance on your benefits, this may be when you have made a new claim and encounter a period of financial need.  A short term advance will then be claimed back from your future benefits.

Budgeting loan

You could get a budgeting loan to help pay for essential things such as -

  • rent
  • furniture
  • clothes
  • hire purchase debts

Hardship payments

Hardship payments are administered by the DWP (see and are reduced payments of Jobseekers Allowance (income based) and Universal Credit that are made to vulnerable people who have not followed the normal qualifying rules.