Abandoned shopping trolleys tend to belong to businesses like supermarkets and retail premises, which are taken without the consent of the owner and left in a public space.
If ignored abandoned trolleys can -
- become an eyesore
- pose a hazard to highway users especially if placed in proximity of moving traffic
- if discarded in waterways pose a hazard to wildlife
- increased risks of localised flooding if discarded irresponsibly and obstruct the flow of water
In Hull we work in partnership with TrolleyWise.
TrolleyWise is a national organisation set up to work with trolley owners, to help reduce losses from stores and retail outlets across the UK.
If you find an abandoned trolley close to the business it belongs to please speak to the business directly in the first instance.
Businesses covered by TrolleyWise
The following businesses are currently covered by TrolleyWise -
- Home Bargains
- WM Morrisons
If you wish to report an abandoned trolley from the above businesses you can do this by -
- calling 0800 316 1241
- email Trolleywise@wanzl.co.uk
You can also download the free TrolleyWise app by visiting Google Play or the Apple app store.
Businesses not covered by TrolleyWise
The following businesses are not covered by TrolleyWise, please use the numbers below to report abandoned trolleys from these businesses -
- Aldi - 01827 711 800
- Asda - 0800 952 0101
- Co-op stores - 0800 023 4708
- Dunelm - 0345 165 6565
- Farmfoods stores - 0121 700 7160
- Heron Foods - 0845 603 7314
- Marks and Spencers - 0333 014 8555
- Next - 0333 005 5992
- Currys/PC World - 0344 561 0000
- Pets at Home - 0345 266 1142
- Wilkinsons - 0333 005 2171
Removal of trolleys from water
Alternatively you can contact them on 03708 506 506.
Alternatively you can contact them on 03030 404 040
To help reduce the presence of abandoned shopping trolleys you can help by -
- don't remove any shopping trolley from the boundary of the business that provides it to be used - please don't use trolleys to take your shopping home
- once you have used a shopping trolley, always leave it in a sensible location within the boundary of the business such as the trolley bay
- do not take trolleys past containment strips, these will be strips located on the footpath and boundary of the car park designed to stop trolleys being removed
- report persons who you see fly tipping waste in shopping trolleys
- if you notice a shopping trolley abandoned, report it to TrolleyWise or the business whose name is on the handle of the trolley