Mutual Exchange

A mutual exchange is where 2 or more social housing tenants swap homes, with consent from their landlords.

If you are a secure council tenant, then you have the right to apply for a mutual exchange with another tenant. This can be a housing association or another council tenant. You can apply to swap homes with tenants from other parts of the country as well as those in Hull.

Searching for a mutual exchange

To search for a mutual exchange, you can register with House Exchange free of charge. This is a national website which allows you to search for people who would also like to exchange their home, who are verified social housing tenants.

You can also advertise yourself to find a swap, for example, in your local shops, or you may already know someone who you would like to swap homes with.

Safety precautions

Be careful about the amount of information you share about your home and your personal circumstances when searching for a mutual exchange, especially if you are doing this outside of the House Exchange website.

We do not advise using social media platforms for this purpose. Those registered on the House Exchange website are verified by their landlords as being social housing tenants.

You should never offer or accept any payment for a mutual exchange.

The following safety precautions may be useful as a guide.