Apply for Housing Benefit

You can only make a claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following applies to you - 

  • you are single and of State Pension age, or a couple where both of you have reached State Pension age
  • you are a mixed age couple, where only one member of the couple has reached State Pension age, and you currently receive Pension credits as a couple
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council
  • you live in accommodation where you receive care and support as a condition of your tenancy agreement

Find out when you will reach Pension age on Gov.UK website.

If one of the above applies you must also be on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings or receive Pension Guaranteed Credit to make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

If you have any non-dependents in your household, a non-dependent is anyone 16 years or over who nobody receives child benefit for, your Housing Benefit award maybe reduced.

Apply for Housing Benefit

If none of the above apply, you will need to claim Universal Credits for help with your Housing costs. 

If you are applying for or already receiving Universal Credit you will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Reduction only.

Supporting proofs

When you are applying for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you will be asked to provide proofs to support your claim.


There is further information for landlords to help with housing benefit claims.

Additional information to support your claim

With your permission we can share information with your landlord. This may help us to deal with your application more quickly.

Backdated payments

Payments of Housing Benefit normally start from the Monday after you make a claim.

Backdates are automatically considered if you are -

  • Single, or a couple where both of you have reached pension age or
  • A mixed age couple, where only one member of the couple has reached State Pension age, and you currently receive Pension credits as a couple.

If the above does not apply, you will need to request a backdate.

If you did not request a backdate when you made your Housing Benefit claim and believe your Housing Benefit should have started earlier, complete the form below choosing “Other changes” from the drop-down menu and ensuring you provide the following 

  • the date you want your benefit to start from 
  • give as much detail as possible stating the reasons why you are requesting a back date and why you did not claim earlier
  • provide us with any supporting evidence

Report a change of circumstances

Benefit Tools

If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or for help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools.

Have you registered for My Revenues and Benefits

Registering for My Revenues and Benefits gives you access to the following services -

  • access details of your housing benefit
  • check your payment history
  • find out when your payments are due
  • tell us about any changes, you may be contacted to confirm this in writing
  • landlords can check their tenant’s payment history or any upcoming payments

If you have previously registered and are unable to access your account, you will need to re-register for access, alternatively if you have already registered you can access these services by using the button below -

Register or access My Revenues and Benefits