Gambling and Gaming Act Premises Licence and Permits

Occasional Use Notices

The Gambling Act 2005 provides that where there is betting on a track on 8 days or fewer in a calendar year, betting may be permitted by an Occasional Use Notice (OUN) without the need for a full premises licence.

 In this context track means -

  • a horse-race course
  • a dog track
  • other premises on any part of which a race or other sporting event takes place or is intended to take place

An OUN may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

Betting operators cannot provide gaming machines at tracks by virtue of an OUN.

There are no fees applicable to this process.

These notices can only be used for 8 days or less in a calendar year.

A notice must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by an occupier of the track. The notice must be served on us and copied to the chief officer of police for the area in which the track is located. The notice must specify the day on which it has effect. Notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, as long as the overall limit of 8 days is not exceeded in the calendar year.

Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more than 8 days in a calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

Occasional Use Notice form.

Use the form below if you have a query about OUNs that cannot be answered on this page -

Licence and permit queries (opens in new window)