Council Home Improvements and Permissions

It is a condition of your tenancy agreement that you must ask for permission to make improvements to your council home. You are not able to do any of the following -

Use communal areas

  • cultivate
  • fence off
  • restrict access to any parts of the communal areas
  • build
  • construct
  • place any building or other structure in the communal areas

Gardens and driveways

  • plant any tree or plant on the premises which may grow to a height of more than 2 meters
  • allow any person to reside in the garden
  • fence off or enclose any part of the driveway


  • store or park a vehicle (including but not limited to cars, trailers, caravans, boats and motorcycles) on the premises
  • the common parts
  • communal areas

Storage of material and fire safety

  • keep a dangerous material or dangerous quantities of a material at the premises
  • dangerous materials include (but are not limited to) compressed gas, fireworks
  • use paraffin or petrol heaters, or liquid or bottled gas heaters in the premises

Business use

  • use the premises for running or operating a business