Council home improvements and permissions

Alterations or additions to the premises

Alterations or additions to the premises include, but are not limited to -

  • changing the structure of any building at the premises
  • undertaking work to the electrical
    • gas
    • water
    • drainage installations
  • the erection of a shed
    • pigeon loft
    • outbuilding
    • other building
  • the erection of a CB aerial
    • television aerial
    • satellite dish
    • other radio
    • telecommunications device
  • the construction of a hard standing
    • driveway
    • patio
    • pond
    • permanent feature
  • the installation of laminate
    • other solid floor covering
    • fitted furniture
  • the application or installation of permanent textured covering or coatings. This includes but is not limited to textured plaster and polystyrene or ceramic tiles

You will not need permission if you want to paint and decorate internal walls in your home.

You can apply for permission in writing. Hand it in to a Customer Service Centre or Information Point. You can also contact us by telephone 01482 300 300.

We will acknowledge your request and we will let you know whether the work can go ahead.

If you disagree with our decision, you can ask for a review by a second person using any further information you feel will help us make a decision.

If you have made improvements to your home, you may be entitled to compensation when your tenancy comes to an end.

If you have a query about making in an alteration in your council property, complete the form below –

General Housing enquiry (opens in a new tab)