Managing Council House Rent Arrears

Get housing and homelessness advice

If you can't pay your rent, don't ignore the problem. You need to talk to your landlord as soon as possible. We can also help by giving you advice and information that may prevent you from losing your home.

You can look at the advice on this page first. If you need more help, telephone us on 01482 300 300. Or you can visit a Customer Service Centre.

Rent arrears

If you don't pay your rent, your landlord can evict you. This could mean that you lose your home. If you can't pay your rent, you need to get help as soon as you can. If you already get help with paying your rent, but you are still struggling to pay a shortfall, you can apply for discretionary housing payment.

If your claim is successful and discretionary housing payment is awarded, this will only be for a short period of time. You should seek further advice.

You can get free advice from -

It is important to make sure you can afford to pay your rent before signing a tenancy agreement. You can use the Government benefit calculator to check which benefits you may be entitled too.