Dropped kerbs

If you want to take a vehicle across the verge or footway to access your property, you may need a dropped kerb.

These are also known as -

  • domestic footpath crossings
  • vehicle crossings

You need to get approval or consent from us for a dropped kerb.

Works can only be done by contractors who are approved by our Network Management Team. It is an offence for anybody other than an approved contractor to carry out these works.

If you get disability allowance, contact your occupational therapist. They can help to see if any help is available in applying for a vehicle crossing.

How to obtain a quotation

You need to access the information pack and fill in the application form.

Planning permission

If your crossing is to be constructed on a classified road, you need planning permission approval.

We also detail which roads are in conservation areas within the information pack.

Choose your contractor

You need to send the completed application form to contractors of your choice from the list supplied for a quotation for the works.

The contractor obtains planning approval if required or requested. They will provide you with a quote for the works. The contractor’s quote covers the design of the crossing and all works required on the public highway. This includes -

  • any diversion of public utilities equipment such as -
    • telegraph poles
    • hydrants
  • the relocation or removal of council equipment such as -
    • streetlights
    • trees

The contractor designs the crossing in accordance with our vehicle crossing design guide. On acceptance of the quote, the contractor requires full payment for the crossing. This is in advance of the works.

The contractor then obtains a permit from us to construct the crossing. On issue of the permit, the contractor can advise you of a start date for the works to be carried out.

Domestic footpath crossings

It is important to remember that once a crossing has been constructed, it remains part of the highway. We are responsible for its maintenance. Parking is not permitted on the crossing once it has been constructed.

Crossings are usually constructed in tarmac. Other materials may be approved. This is if they are more in keeping with the area that they are being constructed. Examples of other materials would be block paving, concrete and paving flags. 

After the completion of your vehicle crossing, should you encounter any issues with people obstructing it on a regular basis over a prolonged period of time, 6 weeks or more, contact the Traffic Department by telephoning 01482 300 300. They can advise on any action that can be taken.

It is an offence to construct a domestic footpath crossing without the appropriate approval and roadworks permit. To do so may result in prosecution.

Pedestrian dropped kerb crossing enforcement

It is an offence to block or partly block a pedestrian dropped kerb crossing with a vehicle. This is unless you are temporarily caught in stationary traffic.

In other words, you cannot park across a pedestrian dropped kerb crossing. This offence applies to all motorists, including -

  • Blue badge holders
  • motorcyclists
  • permit holders

Find out more about Parking Charge Notifications.

Fire Hydrants

Statutory fire hydrants are owned, installed, and maintained by the water companies. Private fire hydrants found on private water mains are not the responsibility of the local water company or the Fire and Rescue Service.

Contact Yorkshire Water if there is an urgent problem with a fire hydrant. Call them on 03451 242 424 or non-urgent enquiries on 0800 573 553.