Council Tax Discretionary Reductions

Hull City Council have the following local reductions -

Care Leavers Discount

A care leaver is a young person who left care because of reaching 18 years of age. If you are a care leaver aged 18 to 24, contact your social worker. They will advise the Council Tax Department.

Volunteer Reserve Forces

A person who is living on their own and is a member of the Volunteer Reserve Forces can apply for a 75% Council Tax discount. This is if they are enlisted for a period of 28 days or more at any one time. We will need to see a copy of the call-up papers.

Special Constables

A Special Constable who is a council taxpayer in Hull would be able to claim a discount. Contact the chief constable of Humberside Police to register for this discount.

Extreme Financial Hardship

We have the discretionary power to reduce a liability for council tax. This is where you can prove you are in exceptional grave hardship and have had all other possible -

  • discounts
  • disregards
  • exemptions
  • reductions


The reduction can apply to an individual, or a group of people. An application can be made for any domestic property where Council Tax is chargeable.

The amount of reduction is decided by us. It is intended to be for short term temporary assistance. The cost of reducing the amount of Council Tax, under these discretionary powers, is met by us. It is at the expense of all the city’s Council Taxpayers.

Each application is treated on its own individual merits. It must show evidence of exceptional grave hardship. You must satisfy us that you have taken all reasonable steps to resolve your situation before making an application. You must provide supporting evidence. This can include the following evidence -

  • a letter from a professional to support your grave hardship
  • evidence of all income received
  • proof of savings, investments, and property owned
  • evidence of any arrears

The amount outstanding must not be the result of any intentional non-payment.

You can make a claim. To do this, download, complete, and return the Discretionary Council Tax reduction application form.