When we look at the number of adults that live in the property there are some people who, because of their circumstances, are not counted (Disregarded). For example where 2 adults lives at the same address you may qualify for a 25% reduction if 1 of the adults falls in to 1 of the categories and meet the qualifying conditions -
- apprentices not earning more than £195.00 per week before tax
- carers providing care for an average of 35 hours per week
- full time students carrying out a qualifying course
- members of religious communities
- members of visiting forces
- persons in Detention this includes prisoners on remand
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- permanent residents of -
- residential care homes
- school Leavers in receipt of child benefit
- youth trainees
- single person discount
- Care Leavers Discount - a care leaver is a young person who left care because of reaching 18 years of age. If you are a care leaver aged 18 to 24, contact your social worker who will then advise the Council Tax Department
Locally Defined Discounts
Volunteer Reserve Forces - a person living on their own and who is a member of the Volunteer Reserve Forces, can apply for a 75 percent Council Tax discount if they are enlisted for a period of 28 days or more at any one time.
A special constable - who is a council taxpayer in Hull jointly or severally liable would be able to claim a 50 percent discount. They will need to contact the Chief constable of Humberside Police to register for this discount.
Empty properties and second homes
Even if the property is uninhabitable due to being under major repair/alteration there are no discount or exemption available for these types of properties.
Discretionary Reduction (known as 13A (1)(c))
This reduction will only be granted in cases of exceptional grave hardship and as a last resort after all other -
- Council Tax reduction
has been applied. If you are experiencing severe financial hardship and you're having difficulty paying Council Tax, a separate application is required.
To knowingly provide false information, may result in a fine under Schedule 3 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and retrospective charges may be applied to your Council Tax account.
It is important that if your circumstances change you must tell us as soon as possible via myAccount. If you are late to inform us, we will backdate any change to when it happened.
Please complete this form if you are applying for -
- single person
- disabled relief
- severely mentally impaired
- SMI - Alzheimer's
To request any of these discounts or disregards you will need to complete a Council Tax enquiry form by accessing My Council Tax account.
If you have already registered for a My Council Tax Account, you can access these services by logging in using the blue button below.
If you have previously registered and are unable to access your account, you will need to re-register for access using the Register blue button.
If you do not have a My Council Tax Account, you can register using the blue button below.