Rent arrears advice

Rent arrears

You can request to have money deducted from your -

  • Income Support benefit
  • income based Job Seekers allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support allowance

Getting into rent arrears can be distressing, but there are ways you can check if you are responsible for paying them. If so, there are options of affordably repaying them. Repay your rent arrears if you owe a minimum of 4 weeks times your full weekly rent, and you have occurred the arrears over the previous 8 weeks or longer.

You can request to have your rent paid direct to your landlord from your universal credit. If you are in arrears, you can also request that a monthly arrears payment, known as a Third Party Deduction, is also paid to your landlord. You can request this by accessing your journal or if you are a council tenant, you can speak to your tenancy officer who can request this on your behalf.

We can provide you with help and support on managing council housing rent arrears or former tenant rent arrears payments.

Alternatively, Citizens Advice rent arrears can provide you with independent information and advice on dealing with your rent arrears.

Help with your rent

Citizens Advice can provide you with further information about your Housing and Universal Credit claims.

Legal advice on your home

We can provide you with legal advice for your home.