Private Landlord responsibilities


All maintenance work to gas appliances, flues and pipes must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Safety standards

You must make sure that -

  • an annual gas safety check is carried out. Obtain a gas safety certificate for every gas appliance in your property. These must be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer and renewed each year
  • any sofas or mattresses meet the fire safety standards
  • any electrical equipment provided is safe
  • the electrical installation is safe
  • the premises you let are safe for the occupation of your tenants and any visitors

You can also visit the Electrical Safety First website to find out more information about safe electrical installation.

Housing Health and Safety Rating System

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is a risk assessment tool. It is used to assess potential risks to the health and safety of occupants in residential properties.

Landlord information on the Health and Safety rating system.

Legionella risk assessment

Landlords must understand the health risks associated with legionella.

You are responsible for health and safety. You need to take the correct precautions to reduce the risks of exposure to legionella. You can find out more from the Health and Safety Executive website.