Private Landlord responsibilities

Further information

Houses of multiple occupancy (HMO)

Landlords of certain buildings occupied by more than one household have additional legal obligations to comply with housing management regulations. For example -

  • houses split into bedsits
  • shared houses
  • flats
  • hostels

They need the maintenance of, amongst other things -

  • fire precautions
  • means of escape from fire
  • shared kitchens and bathrooms
  • yards, forecourts, and shared gardens
  • outbuildings, boundary walls and fences

House in multiple occupation advice for landlords.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

Rented properties must have smoke detection alarms. In some instances, they need carbon monoxide detectors as well. You get more information on GOV.UK. You can also view the smoke and carbon monoxide alarm regulations.

You must inform your tenants when the rent is to be paid and how you want it paid. You can't refuse to accept rent from your tenants. Rent can be increased but only at certain times of the tenancy and only in certain circumstances. This depends on the type of tenancy and what the tenancy agreement says about rent increases.

If rent is paid weekly, you must give your tenant a rent book.

Information and communication

All landlords must give their tenants their name and a UK contact address. You must respond to your tenant's written requests within 21 days of receiving their letter.

Landlord Health and Safety Training

You can request a place on the landlord health and safety assessment training that takes place. The course is free and helps you to identify defects and hazards.

If you would like to book a place on the training course, contact 01482 614 363 or 01482 614 364 for more details.