We have a legal landlord duty to carry out an annual gas safety inspection in your home. When your annual inspection is due, we will contact you to arrange a convenient time for our engineers to call.
This work will be carried out taking all necessary precautions to protect both you and our operatives.
Gas servicing and safety information
We have a statutory duty that a gas safety check is carried out yearly. This is under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, Regulation 36 – Duty of Landlords.
We check all gas heating appliances in council owned homes. This is to make sure our appliances are safe and in good working order. All our gas appliances are installed and checked by gas safe registered engineers.
You must let our engineers into your home to perform these important checks. You should be flexible when making appointments. Notify us as soon as you can if appointment times are no longer convenient.
You are responsible for having your own appliances serviced and safety checked by a gas safe registered engineer.
You should never -
- use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly. Signs to look out for include -
- yellow or orange flames, except for fuel effect fires
- soot or stains around the appliance
- pilot lights which frequently go out
- cover an appliance or block the convection air vents
- block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grilles or air bricks
- block or cover outside flues
Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for more information on gas safety.
Faults or breakdowns
If you have a breakdown or a fault to any council gas appliances or heating systems, report them immediately by telephoning 01482 300 300.
If you have a breakdown or a fault to any of your own gas appliances, only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out the repair.