Housing benefit change of circumstances

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit, you must also report your change to the DWP.

If you have made an application or are receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, by law you must tell us of any changes as soon as possible. 

More about how to Access your housing benefit account.

If you do not report a change of your circumstances, you could receive the wrong amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. If you receive too much you must pay this back and further action may be taken against you.

Please note: People of working age that are claiming both Council Tax Reduction and Universal Credit will be calculated (reviewed) periodically after a period of up to 6 months. The review will consider any changes in Universal Credit that have been reported to the council by the Department of Work and Pensions.

Your Council Tax Reduction calculation will remain unchanged until either the review is carried out or you request an earlier review by reporting a change to us which you consider will have a significant effect on the amount of Council Tax Reduction you are awarded.

If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools.