Housing benefit change of circumstances

Starting work - extended payments

If you or your partner are receiving housing benefit and council tax reduction start work and -

  • the job will last for 5 weeks or more
  • you have not reached pension age and have been getting -
    • income support
    • income-based jobseeker's allowance
    • severe disablement allowance
    • incapacity benefit
    • employment and support allowance, income related, continuously for 26 weeks
  • you are liable to pay rent and council tax for at least 4 weeks

You will qualify for 4 extra weeks of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction at the same amount awarded to you before you started work. This is known as extended payment and reduction.

Report a change to your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction (opens in new window)