Your rights and retention periods
You have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), these are the right -
- to be informed about how we use your personal data via Privacy Notices like this one
- to withdraw your consent at any point where we are relying solely on your consent as the legal basis to process your data.
- of access to any personal information the council holds about you. To request a copy of this information you must make a subject access request in writing
- of rectification - we must correct inaccurate or incomplete data within one month
- to erasure - you have the right to have your personal data erased and/or prevent processing unless we have an overriding legal basis or legal requirement
- object - you can object to your personal data being used for profiling, direct marketing or research purposes
- data portability - where you have provided information to us online through a web portal or automated process and we are processing it with your consent or to provide you with a service you may ask us for a copy of your personal data in a structured, commonly used format
You have rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling, to reduce the risk that a potentially damaging decision is taken without human intervention.
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at -
Information Governance Team
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street
Email - email@example.com
It may not always be possible to fulfil your request where it is necessary to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement or we have a legitimate legal basis.
We will only keep your information for as long as necessary. The retention period is either dictated by law or our legitimate requirements. Once your information is no longer needed it will be securely and confidentially destroyed. Service and project specific retention periods can be found in our service and project specific privacy notices.
If you email us, we may store all or part of the details from the email on our computer systems. We do not routinely retain all emails we receive, for storage emails are moved onto specific service area data systems or folders on our IT network.
All calls to our contact centre are recorded. Audio recordings are only used for the purposes stated on our privacy notices and in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act. This includes employee training.
CCTV systems are installed in public areas across the city for public safety and the prevention and detection of crime. Signs notifying you that CCTV is in operation are displayed at the boundary and across the city.