Sex establishments are any premises, vehicle, vessel or stall used to sell large amounts of sex articles, designed to encourage and stimulate sexual activity.
A sex cinema is any premises, vehicle, vessel or stall used to a significant degree for the exhibition of moving pictures, by whatever means produced, which are concerned primarily with the-
- portrayal of, or primarily deal with or relate to, or are intended to stimulate or encourage sexual activity or acts of force or restraint which are associated with sexual activity
- portrayal of, or primarily deal with or relate to, genital organs or urinary or excretory functions, but does not include a private dwelling where the public are not admitted
Sexual entertainment venues
Sexual entertainment venues are premises which provides relevant live entertainment designed to sexually stimulate the audience for the financial gain of the organiser.
To apply for a licence you must complete and send an application form to-
As well as completing an application form you must also-
- send a copy of this application to the Chief Officer of Police, 55 Osbourne Street, Hull HU1 2NW within seven days
- place an advertisement in the local newspaper (Hull Daily Mail) no later than seven days of making the application
- display a notice in a conspicuous place on or near the premises for a period of 21 days
Your application will then be considered by the Licensing Committee. This usually takes place the following month after an application is made.
How to appeal if your application is refused
An applicant, at any time, before the expiration of 21 days of been notified that the application has been refused may appeal to a magistrates’ court for the relevant area. Further to this, an appeal against the decision of a magistrates’ court may also be brought to the Crown Court. The decision of the Crown Court however, is final. For more information please contact the Licensing section.
Duration of licence
The licence cover a one-year period, or a shorter period if we believe there are grounds to shorten the licence duration.
Applicants are required to give notice if they wish to renew the licence.
Make a secure payment online anytime with myPayments. You will need the following -
- your debit or credit card, or,
- your PayPal account login details
- an email address to be sent a receipt (optional)
You can make online payments using a compatible browser.
Objections to applications for a grant, transfer, variation or renewal
- If you want to object to an application for this type of licence (of whatever kind) you must give notice of this in writing to us, stating the grounds for objection and no later than 28 days of the application being made.
Hull City Council
Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Use the online form below if you have any queries relating to a sex establishment and sex cinema licences.